Enacted 1974; amended 1984, 1988, 1992, 1996, 2003
For a summary of the Act visit:
Reasons Bill Initiated
* CAPTA needed reauthorization.
* Original CAPTA did not cover adoption issues.
* To reauthorize CAPTA.
* To promote the enactment of comprehensive adoption assistance legislation in each State.
* To continue funding grant programs for research.
* To provide new grants for improving adoption of children with special needs.
Services Provided/Measures Taken
* Established Adoption Opportunities Program:
- Facilitate placement of children with special needs in permanent adoptive homes.
- Promote quality standards for adoptive placement and the rights of adopted children.
- Provide for national adoption information exchange system.
* Provided for annual summaries of research on child abuse and neglect.
Credits: National Clearinghouse on Child Abuse and Neglect Information
Note: Our authors are dedicated to honest, engaged, informed, intelligent, and open conversation about adoption. The opinions expressed here may not reflect the views of Adoption.com.