Enacted 1974; also amended 1978, 1984, 1988, 1996, 2003
For a summary of the Act visit:
Reasons Bill Initiated
* CAPTA needed reauthorization.
* To revise and extend the authorization of appropriations.
* To modify requirements regarding grants to States for child protective services systems, including covering neglect as well as abuse.
* To make prevention activities under certain grants community-based.
Services Provided/Measures Taken
* Revised provisions for research and assistance activities to include:
- Cultural distinctions relating to child abuse and neglect;
- Culturally sensitive procedures with respect to child abuse cases; and
- The relationship of child abuse and neglect to cultural diversity.
* Provided for assisting States in supporting child abuse and neglect prevention activities through community-based child abuse and neglect prevention grants.
* Required HHS to provide information and service function related to adoption and foster care, including:
- On-site technical assistance;
- National public awareness efforts to unite children in need of adoption with appropriate adoptive parents;
- Operation of a National Resource Center for Special Needs Adoption.
Credits: National Clearinghouse on Child Abuse and Neglect Information
Note: Our authors are dedicated to honest, engaged, informed, intelligent, and open conversation about adoption. The opinions expressed here may not reflect the views of Adoption.com.